US terror charges for Britons

10/01/2019 Posted by admin

The three men are already in custody in the UK, where they face similar charges.

Dhiren Barot, 33, Nadeem Tarmohammed, 26, and Qaisar Shaffi, 26, are charged with conspiring to use a weapon of mass destruction, conspiring to aid terrorists, aiding terrorists and conspiring to damage or destroy commercial buildings, according to the March 23 indictment in the US District Court in New York unsealed on Tuesday.

They were arrested in August 2004 as part of a crackdown on terrorism suspects across the UK, on charges they plotted attacks with radioactive or chemical weapons.

“Today’s indictment sends a message of our resolve to terrorists,” Deputy US Attorney General James Comey said.

The three men are not expected to stand trial in Britain until later this year or early next year, and US authorities have indicated they will seek their extradition afterwards.

All three face life in prison if convicted.

They are suspected of carrying out surveillance on key financial targets in the US, as preparation for a possible terrorist attack.

US officials said the buildings are the New York Stock Exchange and the Citigroup Centre in Manhattan, the International Monetary Fund in Washington and the Prudential headquarters in New Jersey.

The plot to attack the buildings was first revealed on August 1 last year, when US authorities issued a heightened alert and increased security around the buildings.

While the charges do not accuse the men of connections with terrorism network al-Qaeda, Mr Comey indicated that links are being investigated.

Five other men who were arrested and charged in the UK in August alongside the three newly-charged men are not included in the US indictment.

Comments are closed.