UK police net more suspects

10/01/2019 Posted by admin

Raids were carried out on two properties in the southern region of Sussex, leading to the arrests of six men and one woman from an address reported by the domestic Press Association as being in the seaside town of Brighton.

No further details were released about their alleged roles in the bungled plot to repeat the bloody attacks of July 7, in which four suicide bombers and 52 victims were killed.

Another man was also briefly detained under Britain’s anti-terrorism laws at a railway station in northern England, but was later released without charge.

British authorities have warned that even though all four suspected bombers connected with the failed bombings have been arrested, there is still a risk of further attacks.

In central London’s high-security Paddington Green police station, interrogations are continuing of three of the alleged July 21 bombers – Eritrean-born Muktar Said Ibrahim, 27, Somali-born Yassin Hassan Omar, 24, and Ramzi Mohammed, whose age and ethnic background have not been disclosed.

“We are searching for other people in connection with this ongoing inquiry,” a police spokeswoman said.

“There were quite a few other people involved in the incidents of the 7th and the 21st. It’s extremely likely there will be other people involved in harbouring, financing and making the devices.”

The fourth suspected bomber, Hamdi Issac, 27, an Ethiopian-born naturalised Briton, is being held in Italy.

He has reportedly defended the attempted bombings as retaliation for the bloodshed caused by the Iraq war.

“The bombings of July 7 in London? That happens every day in Iraq,” Italy’s La Repubblica daily quoted Issac as saying.

He reportedly went on to explain to police how he met one of the other bomb suspects and was persuaded to go ahead with attacks.

“We met each other at a muscle-building class in Notting Hill and Muktar showed us some DVDs with images of the war in Iraq, especially women and children killed by American and British soldiers,” Issac was quoted as saying.

“I could not accept such violence; we could not carry on suffering in silence,” he reported said, adding that in “our meetings we analysed the political situation and the fact that everywhere in the West, Muslims are humiliated and that they must react.”

“A signal had to be given and we did it, but we did not intend to kill anybody. It was just a gesture.”

Italian authorities have a period of 60 days, with the possibility of an extended 30 days, in which to decide whether to extradite Issac to Britain.

He is wanted in Britain under a European arrest warrant, but is also suspected of international terrorism in accordance with Italian laws past after the September 11, 2001 attacks.

Meanwhile, Italian police have also taken into custody Issac’s two brothers.

Fati was arrested in the northern Italian town of Brescia on suspicion of having hidden or destroyed documents considered important by investigators.

Remzi was arrested in Rome on July 29 accused of having sheltered Issac and holding fake documents in his shop in the capital.

Comments are closed.