More arrests in bomb probe

10/01/2019 Posted by admin

Magdy al-Nashar has denied any links to the bombings, on three London underground trains and a double-decker bus which killed at least 54 and wounded 700, Egypt’s interior ministry said after confirming his arrest.

British police are hunting the people who helped plan and finance the attacks but have not said how al-Nashar might be connected.

British newspapers said he had rented a house in the northern English city of Leeds raided by police on Tuesday and linked to the four suspected suicide bombers.

Large amounts of explosives were apparently seized.

Friends and colleagues expressed shock at al-Nashar’s arrest.

“He had a great personality. You would never ever expect this kind of action from him. Impossible,” said his friend Kadhem Al-Rawi, a doctor in Islamic Principles at the European Institute of Human Sciences in Wales.

Al-Nashar arrived in Britain in October 2000 to study for a doctorate at Leeds University, sponsored by the Egyptian government.

Media reports say he had earlier studied at North Carolina State University in the United States.

“He had lots of friends here, half the mosque were his friends,” al-Rawi told Reuters.

“He never got into politics. He just completed his studies, got his degree and got a lecturing job.”

Leeds University said al-Nashar had not been seen on the campus since the beginning of July.

“We understand he was seeking a post-doctoral position in the UK and that his visa was updated by the Home Office early this year,” a university spokeswoman said.

An Egyptian Interior Ministry statement said al-Nashar had returned to the country for a holiday from his studies and had intended to return to Britain.

Meanwhile Pakistani security forces detained four suspects in the central city of Faisalabad on Friday.

An intelligence official in Pakistan earlier revealed one of the suicide bombers, Shehzad Tanweer, met two years ago in Faisalabad with a member of a militant group linked to al-Qaeda, now in custody for bombing a church in Islamabad in 2002.

“The security agencies have picked up four people. They were taken to an undisclosed location, but we were not involved in this operation,” a Faisalabad police official told Reuters.

Comments are closed.