London blast victim identified

10/01/2019 Posted by admin

Britain remains on the highest-ever state of alert, as police warn that further strikes could occur.

At least 49 people were killed in coordinated bombings of three underground trains and a bus.

A few sections of the underground rail system affected by the attacks remain closed.

“We believe that with all the efforts of everyone involved, including Londoners, we can defeat the terrorists. By not coming to work, by London not being open for business, they will win and they are not going to win,” said Andy Trotter of the British Transport Police.

Teams of workers are still toiling 20 metres below ground to remove bodies from the train wreckage in the tunnel between Russell Square and King’s Cross.

Police said they do not know how many more bodies remain underground, and searchers said conditions are unlike any they have ever encountered before.

The bombers used a high explosive and each device was lighter than 10 pounds (4.5 kilograms), but investigators have given no further details.

The first body publicly identified is that of Susan Levy, 53, a married mother of two from Hertfordshire.

She was killed in the worst of the blasts.

It could take days, even weeks, to identify the victims, forensics experts warn, as many were blown apart.

Home Office Minister Hazel Blears defended the pace of identifying victims of the attacks.

“Identification is complex. It is absolutely vital we get this right. You can imagine the implications of getting it wrong,” she said, speaking on GMTV.

Flowers, candles, toys and cards have been laid outside King’s Cross station, which lies at the epicentre of the bombings.

Investigators have not given any clues on possible suspects, however London newspapers have identified one as Mustafa Setmarian Nasar – a Syrian suspected of being al-Qaeda’s operations chief in Europe and the alleged mastermind of last year’s Madrid railway bombings.

London police refused to comment, but a US official said that both nations were trying to locate Nasar.

Three men, all Britons arriving at Heathrow airport, were arrested and released on Sunday, the first to be detained under UK anti-terrorism laws since the attacks.

Police have appealed to the public for images taken of the sites of the attacks, and mobile phone companies have been asked to store voicemail, email and SMS content from Thursday.

Meanwhile, British Muslims have reported higher than usual levels of abuse, with some reports of violence toward mosques around Britain.

Australian Prime Minister John Howard said at least one Australian may have been killed.

Six Australians remain in hospital, one in critical condition.

Comments are closed.